Materials for phase one of the Queen Charlotte boat lauch are ready for assembly.

Boat launch on track despite funding loss

As the village seeks new avenues for funding for Phase 2 of the new boat launch, Phase 1 is on schedule

The Village of Queen Charlotte was denied funding for phase two of its boat launch project, but that won’t stop key parts of phase one from going ahead on time.

Village CAO Lori Wiedeman reported news of phase two to council at the regular meeting Dec. 21. The $570,000 project received all necessary materials for phase one Nov. 19.  The ramp, floats, barrier/berm, and culvert are all sitting at the Kagan Bay log sort, ready to be put in place.

The project engineer has also provided village staff with quantities for fill and blast rock as well as installation instructions. The deadline for the first phase of the project is Sept. 30 and is so far on track.

Phase two, paving of the parking lot, was dependant on grant funding through Canada 150 but was not approved.

“Yes, the Canada 150 grant application was for the parking-lot paving and we were turned down,” Ms. Wiedeman said, adding she believes the fund was oversubscribed.  Any new grant funding applications will likely be on the agenda at an upcoming regular council meeting.

The village is currently looking for other funding opportunities, “We always knew that we might have to put off this portion of the project until there is a paving plant on island due to the expense of mobilizing,” Ms Wiedeman said.

Lack of a paved parking lot shouldn’t impact use of the ramp or the breakwater and floats following completion of phase one.

Mayor Greg Martin said he knows the area of the Kagan Bay log sort is a well used target practice area and hopes the public will be mindful of the equipment and materials.