Ferry service to continue all summer

  • Fri Apr 21st, 2006 10:00am
  • News

By Alex Rinfret-BC Ferries has confirmed that there will be ferry service to the Charlottes this summer, although exact details of the schedule are still being worked out.
Ferries spokesperson Deborah Marshall said there will be an announcement Monday with full details of the summer service, which begins May 18.
Leaders from affected communities had already agreed that sailing the Queen of Prince Rupert on a winter schedule throughout the summer, giving all communities at least some service, was the best option.
The other option which was seriously considered was to put the QPR on the busier Port Hardy-Prince Rupert route, and service the Charlottes by plane and barge. MLA Gary Coons said this option was rejected thanks to loud protests from islanders, who said it would destroy the tourist industry here.
Meanwhile, the Queen of Prince Rupert returned to the north coast routes this week, arriving at Skidegate Thursday night loaded with passengers and vehicles. Many of the vehicles had been stranded in Prince Rupert since the Queen of the North sank March 22.
The latest word on cabins is that 16 will be available for passengers, Ms Marshall said, and can be reserved ahead of time. There used to be 48 passenger cabins available on the QPR, but most have been taken over by crew members, who have refused to bunk below the water line. Ms Marshall said the steward will have at least one cabin available for elderly or medical passengers.