Machete suspect turns himself in

  • Wed Jul 7th, 2004 7:00am
  • News


A 24-year old man wanted in connection with a machete incident in Masset last week turned himself into RCMP Friday evening, said Sgt. Andrew Isles. He has been charged with numerous weapons offences.
In another incident with a weapon, a 17-year old Masset resident was shot repeatedly with a pellet rifle last Saturday, Sgt. Isles said. He had to be taken to hospital for treatment of his injuries. Police arrested two males – one youth and one adult – and have recommended charges of assault with a weapon. The victim knew his assailants.
Masset police were involved in the seizure of a weapon during a customs check of a vessel last week. The RCMP’s West Coast Marine Detachment substation in Prince Rupert has been making many seizures lately, said Sgt. Isles. The increased success is because of cooperation between different agencies and a strategy targeting organized crime, he said.
A Masset man has been charged with failing to stay at the scene of a crime and driving without due care and attention after hitting a telephone pole in the early morning of June 30, said Sgt. Isles. Two passengers were hospitalized and treated for minor injuries. The driver was later located unhurt. Alcohol was a factor in the accident, he said.