Port Clements chimney fire causes excitement

  • Fri Nov 30th, 2007 10:00am
  • News

Students at Port Clements elementary had an extra-exciting lunch break on( Thursday Nov. 22, first seeing flames shooting out of the chimney of a nearby house, then watching two fire trucks respond with sirens blaring. Volunteer firefighter Alf Belyea said the fire was almost out when the fire department arrived with its pumper truck and tanker truck. “It was contained to the chimney,” he said. The five firefighters went inside and made sure the fire was completely doused, then checked the chimney. There was no damage to the house. Mr. Belyea said the small fire is a reminder to residents that chimneys need to be cleaned regularly and checked carefully for creosote build-up.