Sandspit hoping for money from Ottawa

  • Dec. 28, 2012 9:00 a.m.

Sandspit emergency volunteers are making a list and checking it twice, and hoping that the federal government plays Santa and comes through with money to help residents prepare for natural disasters and evacuations. The emergency preparedness committee sent a letter to MP Nathan Cullen last month that outlines exactly what Sandspit residents will need in the event that the entire community has to evacuate and survive for a week or more. Carole Bowler, the Moresby Island Management Committee representative on the emergency committee, said Mr. Cullen told the group he might be able to get some federal funds at a meeting a couple of weeks after the 7.7 earthquake and tsunami warning. Mr. Cullen asked the community to send him a list of what is needed to help him make the case in Ottawa, and Ms Bowler said the volunteers came up with a set of upgrades and sent it to him Nov. 25. “Sandspit is the only community on Moresby Island and we have NO protection from the environment if a tsunami wave or storm surge were to destroy all of our residences and infrastructure which is all at sea level,” the emergency volunteers wrote. “Without our airport and ferry we are vulnerable to long waits for assistance from our neighbouring communities and will be completely on our own. We MUST plan to protect our citizens accordingly.” Sandspit has requested money for a siren, for capping the evacuation site to allow vehicle access, for upgrades to the road leading to the evacuation site, for two large sea containers to store supplies, and for basic infrastructure at the site like generators, outhouses, tents, stoves, food and blankets. The estimated total for the list comes to about $131,000. Mr. Cullen has not yet replied to the emergency committee, Ms Bowler told the Moresby Island Management Committee at its Dec. 13 meeting.

Just Posted

Rediscovery co-founder Thom Henley returns to Haida Gwaii with new memoir

Henley to speak in Old Massett Thursday night and in Queen Charlotte on Friday

Overnight fire destroys home in Tlell

Tlell firefighters are having a busy year

Crime Stoppers launches across Haida Gwaii

They aren’t the police, and they don’t want to know who you… Continue reading

Queen Charlotte set for first election contest since 2011

Candidates Alan Moore and Devin Rachar to join a friendly debate Thursday night at Junebug Café

VIDEO: Rare comic showing Superman’s 1st appearance to be auctioned

The 1938 comic features Superman hoisting a car over his head

‘An officer and a gentleman’: Const. John Davidson is laid to rest

Thousands attend memorial service for slain Abbotsford Police officer

VIDEO: Coquihalla closed both directions near Merritt

Detours are available via Hwy. 8 and Hwy. 1

VIDEO: The Last Jedi is going to be the longest ‘Star Wars’ movie yet

Newest movie in the franchise will beat Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

REPLAY: B.C. this week in video

In case you missed it, here’s a look at replay-worthy highlights from across the province this week.

PHOTOS: Procession and funeral for Const. John Davidson

Thousands attended celebration of life for Abbotsford police officer

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates debate different paths for party

Third debate held Sunday, Nov. 19 at Nanaimo’s Vancouver Island Conference Centre

Apology to Canadians persecuted for being gay coming Nov. 28: Trudeau

Thousands were fired from the military, RCMP and public service because of their sexual orientation

LIVE: BC Liberals kick off leadership debate in Nanaimo

Candidates’ forum is at noon at Vancouver Island Conference Centre

Most Read