Sandspit store owner getting used to burned building

  • Fri Jun 25th, 2004 8:00pm
  • News

There’s only a chimney left of what was once the Trading Post in Sandspit, but owner Carol Bowler seems to be doing alright.
“What a shock!” she said, talking to the Observer on Friday. She said though that she is, surprisingly, starting to get used to the sight of the charred building, which is next door to her home.
“It looks like 9/11,” she said, “stuff sticking up everywhere. There’s still smoke coming out of it.” Ms. Bowler said that there could have been much more damage to the adjacent house, but they were “lucky there was no wind.” A bit of the soffits on the house were melted, she said, but the damage was minimal.
The store was covered by insurance, but not enough to rebuild.