Blaze destroys Masset residence

  • Mar. 21, 2014 5:00 a.m.

A fire Tuesday evening (March 18) in Masset brought out virtually every emergency vehicle in the north end and destroyed one mobile home, but resulted in no injuries or other property damage. It happened about 8:00 pm at 1725 Old Beach Road, when Masset firefighters, already holding their regular Tuesday evening practice, got the call.”We didn’t have exact address, we knew it was across the causeway near Masset grocery,” Masset’s fire chief Sylvan Daugert said, “we immediately knew where it was, because it was quite obvious from quite a distance away. The building was engulfed.”Old Massett’s fire department was also practising that evening, and both crews arrived on the scene within minutes of the call.When they arrived, they found that the front part of the mobile home was not completely in flames, but the back half was, as was a joey shack, which had flames pouring out of it. Mr. Daugert says the crews attacked the fire right away, then had to step back until the electricity was turned off. “We had real safety issues with the power,” Mr. Daugert said, “BC Hydro was amazingly responsiveOne of their crew was there in literally minutes to cut the powerI cannot stress how incredibly quickly he was on the scene.” Mr. Daugert says he doesn’t remember all the details of the fire because he was on one of the attack teams and “your focus (becomes) a little narrow.” But he does say there was a real danger the fire could spread to nearby trees and other buildings. “That was quite close to happening. Especially when we were waiting for the power to go off. We really did think there was a distinct chance we were going to lose the other buildings,” he said. In all, about 15 firefighters from both Masset and Old Massett were on the scene, along with police officers and an ambulance attendant. There were a total of five fire trucks, two police cars and an ambulance there as well. Mr. Daugert sad the residents of the home left just after raising the alarm and before the fire department arrived, thinking there was nothing more they could do. “If you are involved in a fire like that, stick around to let us know if there is anything in the building,”Mr. Daugert said. In this case, there was no one else in the home, but there was a twenty-pound propane tank outside, which was empty, but firefighters didn’t know that at the outset. The fire likely started in the chimney or the stove, the building is a complete write off and an insurance adjuster is now investigating. Firefighters remained on the scene until about 12:30 am to make sure the fire was extinguished. Ironically Mr. Daugert had only been fire chief for a week when the blaze broke out. He is very thankful for all the help his department received.”I also want to stress how incredibly grateful we are to the Old Massett Fire Department who went above and beyond in assisting us,” he said.

Just Posted

In Pictures: Masset Christmas concert stocks lots of laughs

Masset’s community Christmas concert knocked everyone’s yellow socks off last Friday night.… Continue reading

Appeals court upholds existing two-stage plan for Haida title case

Judges dismiss a Haida Nation appeal to keep phase one focused on a broad declaration of rights

Coastal GasLink gets interim injunction against Unist’ot’en

The LNG pipeline company can start work Monday with enforcement approved by court.

Haida Gwaii gets set for major storm on Saturday

Environment Canada warns Saturday southeaster may bring winds of 90 to 120 km/h

In Pictures: Māori girls net a big win on Haida Gwaii

Haida Gwaii and New Zealand are just a few b-ball games away.… Continue reading

Trudeau to make it harder for future PM to reverse Senate reforms

Of the 105 current senators, 54 are now independents who have banded together in Independent Senators’ Group

Man dies after falling from B.C. bridge

Intoxicated man climbed railing, lost his balance and fell into the water below

B.C. animation team the ‘heart’ of new ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’

The animators, largely based in Vancouver, ultimately came up with a creative technique that is drawing praise

Light at the end of the tunnel for UN climate talks

Meeting in Katowice was meant to finalize how countries report their emissions of greenhouses gases

Janet Jackson, Def Leppard, Nicks join Rock Hall of Fame

Radiohead, the Cure, Roxy Music and the Zombies will also be ushered in at the 34th induction ceremony

Supreme Court affirms privacy rights for Canadians who share a computer

Section 8 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects Canadians against unreasonable search and seizure

B.C. fire chief pleads with Ottawa for traumatic stress support

Campbell River fire chief Thomas Doherty presented concerns to federal government

‘I practically begged’: Kootenay woman with breast cancer denied referral to Calgary

Breast cancer patient left to fight disease alone after being denied referral to Calgary

21 detained before Paris protests as police deploy in force

There was a strong police presence outside the central Saint Lazare train station, where police in riot gear checked bags

Most Read