Blaze destroys Masset residence

  • Mar. 21, 2014 5:00 a.m.

A fire Tuesday evening (March 18) in Masset brought out virtually every emergency vehicle in the north end and destroyed one mobile home, but resulted in no injuries or other property damage. It happened about 8:00 pm at 1725 Old Beach Road, when Masset firefighters, already holding their regular Tuesday evening practice, got the call.”We didn’t have exact address, we knew it was across the causeway near Masset grocery,” Masset’s fire chief Sylvan Daugert said, “we immediately knew where it was, because it was quite obvious from quite a distance away. The building was engulfed.”Old Massett’s fire department was also practising that evening, and both crews arrived on the scene within minutes of the call.When they arrived, they found that the front part of the mobile home was not completely in flames, but the back half was, as was a joey shack, which had flames pouring out of it. Mr. Daugert says the crews attacked the fire right away, then had to step back until the electricity was turned off. “We had real safety issues with the power,” Mr. Daugert said, “BC Hydro was amazingly responsiveOne of their crew was there in literally minutes to cut the powerI cannot stress how incredibly quickly he was on the scene.” Mr. Daugert says he doesn’t remember all the details of the fire because he was on one of the attack teams and “your focus (becomes) a little narrow.” But he does say there was a real danger the fire could spread to nearby trees and other buildings. “That was quite close to happening. Especially when we were waiting for the power to go off. We really did think there was a distinct chance we were going to lose the other buildings,” he said. In all, about 15 firefighters from both Masset and Old Massett were on the scene, along with police officers and an ambulance attendant. There were a total of five fire trucks, two police cars and an ambulance there as well. Mr. Daugert sad the residents of the home left just after raising the alarm and before the fire department arrived, thinking there was nothing more they could do. “If you are involved in a fire like that, stick around to let us know if there is anything in the building,”Mr. Daugert said. In this case, there was no one else in the home, but there was a twenty-pound propane tank outside, which was empty, but firefighters didn’t know that at the outset. The fire likely started in the chimney or the stove, the building is a complete write off and an insurance adjuster is now investigating. Firefighters remained on the scene until about 12:30 am to make sure the fire was extinguished. Ironically Mr. Daugert had only been fire chief for a week when the blaze broke out. He is very thankful for all the help his department received.”I also want to stress how incredibly grateful we are to the Old Massett Fire Department who went above and beyond in assisting us,” he said.

Just Posted

Immediate deal to reinstate AMHS in Prince Rupert not out of the question: Mayor Brain

B.C., Alaska officials fail to sign ferry deal in Juneau to reinstate service from Ketchikan

‘It affects everybody:’ Trudeau’s brownface photos worry Wet’suwet’en chief

Skeena-Bulkley Valley Liberal candidate declines to comment on prime minister’s indiscretion

Haida Gwaii art gala seeks submissions

Annual fundraiser supports local artists and programs

PHOTO GALLERY: Masset takes off on Terry Fox Run

More than $1,000 raised for Terry Fox Foundation

VIDEO: B.C.’s famous cat Grandpa Mason has died

The story of the feral cat that started fostering kittens touched people around the world

Trudeau seeks meeting with Singh to apologize for blackface, brownface photos

‘I will be apologizing to him personally as a racialized Canadian,’ Trudeau said Friday

Charges stayed against Alberta RCMP officer in alleged off-duty Whistler assault

Const. Vernon Hagen instead completed an alternative measures program

VIDEO: Fire destroys Williams Lake strip club targeted by past arson attempts

Diamonds and Dust Entertainment Lounge destroyed by fire, as well as New World Tea and Coffee House

Second bat found at Greater Victoria elementary school tests positive for rabies

Island Health confirms second rabies case, this time in Saanich

B.C. man guilty of first-degree murder in Yukon killing

Edward James Penner, 22, was given the mandatory life sentence for the 2017 slaying of 25-year-old Adam Cormack

Woman stabbed at least five times in Nelson during random attack

Victim is in hospital, suspect is in police custody

Victoria man spots online photo of his totem pole 11 years after it was stolen

Mark Trueman restored the pole himself before it was stolen off of his property in Duncan

‘I’d do it again,’ says B.C. man who swam naked, drunk in Toronto shark tank

David Weaver, of Nelson, was drunk when he went to Ripley’s Aquarium in Toronto on Oct. 12 2018

Most Read