Materials for phase one of the Queen Charlotte boat lauch are ready for assembly.

Boat launch on track despite funding loss

As the village seeks new avenues for funding for Phase 2 of the new boat launch, Phase 1 is on schedule

The Village of Queen Charlotte was denied funding for phase two of its boat launch project, but that won’t stop key parts of phase one from going ahead on time.

Village CAO Lori Wiedeman reported news of phase two to council at the regular meeting Dec. 21. The $570,000 project received all necessary materials for phase one Nov. 19.  The ramp, floats, barrier/berm, and culvert are all sitting at the Kagan Bay log sort, ready to be put in place.

The project engineer has also provided village staff with quantities for fill and blast rock as well as installation instructions. The deadline for the first phase of the project is Sept. 30 and is so far on track.

Phase two, paving of the parking lot, was dependant on grant funding through Canada 150 but was not approved.

“Yes, the Canada 150 grant application was for the parking-lot paving and we were turned down,” Ms. Wiedeman said, adding she believes the fund was oversubscribed.  Any new grant funding applications will likely be on the agenda at an upcoming regular council meeting.

The village is currently looking for other funding opportunities, “We always knew that we might have to put off this portion of the project until there is a paving plant on island due to the expense of mobilizing,” Ms Wiedeman said.

Lack of a paved parking lot shouldn’t impact use of the ramp or the breakwater and floats following completion of phase one.

Mayor Greg Martin said he knows the area of the Kagan Bay log sort is a well used target practice area and hopes the public will be mindful of the equipment and materials.

 

Just Posted

Coast Mountain College announces interim president

Ken Burt, current president and CEO, will say goodbye to CMNT come September

Queen Charlotte crackdown

RCMP target impaired driving amidst rising numbers of the offence

Australian gold mining giant acquires Red Chris mine

Newcrest now owns 70 per cent of the mine south of Iskut and operatorship

Haida Gwaii storm causes B.C. ferry delay

Skidegate to Prince Rupert route affected

Rainfall warning for Haida Gwaii

High winds also expected to hit the islands

Police watchdog investigating two officers after Langley teen’s suspected overdose

According to IIO, two officers were deployed to help Carson Crimeni but did not locate him before he died

B.C. father tells judge he did not kill his young daughters

Andrew Berry pleaded not guilty to the December 2017 deaths

UPDATED: Kelly Ellard gets day parole extended for six more months, overnight leave

Kelly Ellard was convicted of killing 14-year-old Reena Virk in 1997

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

B.C. hockey player excited to join Humboldt Broncos

Defenceman Sebastien Archambault played last two seasons with Junior B Sicamous Eagles.

Huawei executive’s defence team alleges Canadians were ‘agents’ of the FBI

eng’s arrest at Vancouver’s airport has sparked a diplomatic crisis between Canada and China

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

On vaccines, abortion, Goop, doctor Jen Gunter says: ‘I have a duty to speak up’

She speaks out on menstruation, the wellness industry and vaccines

Most Read