Bright lamps available at library

  • Nov. 5, 2013 12:00 p.m.

submitted article–On a sunny day we can often sense a shift in people’s mood, just like a grey and rainy day might bring on feelings of gloom. Most people are able to meet the challenges of daily life, while for others symptoms of depression will make this much more difficult. According to Dr. Robert Levitan from the Canadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health about 2-5 percent of Canadians suffer from a severe clinical form of seasonal depression while 10-15 percent experience a milder form called SAD, seasonal affective disorder. Many Canadians experience the “winter blues”, as a sense that things aren’t as positive around this time of year. “Winter blues” is a bit of a misnomer, as there is a rarer form which begins in late spring or early summer. Seasonal depression occurs in about 80 percent of women, with men accounting for the remaining 20 percent. In winter, many people do not have access to the same quality of light as they might have in the summer. While exercise is beneficial as prevention prior to symptoms taking hold, exercising indoors away from natural light sources may not be sufficient to keep depressive symptoms at bay. Treatments for seasonal depression include light therapy, antidepressant medication or tryptophan- a natural substance prescribed in pill form. If you experience symptoms including oversleeping, lethargy, apathy, craving carbohydrates, irritability, avoidance of social situations, make an appointment with a physician to determine if light therapy might be of help to you. Day-Light is an electrical device that some people have found beneficial with use of 20-30 minute per day in the early morning. The manufacturer cautions individuals against staring into the light, and has tips for adjusting the angle and height. These lamps are available locally through the pharmacy, but if you would like to try one out, you can ask for a loaner through Mental Health or head to the library. At the suggestion of local physician Caroline Schooner, the Mental Health and Addictions Advisory Committee, an all-islands volunteer group, has purchased Day-Lights, also known as sad lamps, for each of the branches of the Vancouver Island Regional Library. The committee strongly suggests that you consult with your doctor if you a have preexisting eye or skin condition, bipolar disorder, or suffer from migraines. Light therapy is contraindicated with some prescription drugs or if you take St. John’s Wort (Hypericum). Tom Oord, former committee chair, is shown with VIRL staff member Lorelee Parker. Please find instructions for proper use and setup next to the lamp.

Just Posted

Gwaii Haanas Report: Talking About Everything plan

By Victoria Leslie A dinner of crab legs and clam fritters, halibut… Continue reading

CHN seeks injunction against logging at Collison Point

Weeks after ordering an end to a blockade there, the B.C. Supreme… Continue reading

Marijuana to be legal in Canada Oct. 17: Trudeau

Prime Minister made the announcement during question period in the House of Commons

Talking toads on Haida Gwaii

Researcher to share the latest on protecting Haida Gwaii’s only native amphibian

Divided worldviews at play in debate over ocean fertilization

New study looks at attitudes that shaped reaction to controversial experiment off Haida Gwaii

In reversal, Trump signs executive order to stop family separation

President had been wrongly insisting he had no choice but to separate families apprehended at border

50 new fires sparked in B.C. after lightning strikes across province

Similar conditions seen at the beginning of 2017 wildfire season

B.C. woman graduates high school at age 92

Nanaimo’s Joan Deebank the oldest high school graduate ever in B.C., as far as ministry can confirm

B.C. Appeal Court rules lottery winner must be paid back $600,000 loan

Enone Rosas won $4.1 million in a lottery in 2007 and loaned a portion to a friend

B.C. man surprised after used needle falls from sky

A Vernon resident said a syringe fell out of the sky and landed at his feet

Liquor review finds issues with B.C. wholesale monopoly

Report calls for ‘conflict of interest’ in system to be fixed

B.C. ‘will be ready’ for marijuana legalization

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says some stores open by Oct. 17

Polygamous wife appeals conviction in B.C. child bride case

Emily Blackmore was found guilty of taking her underage daughter to U.S. to marry church leader

B.C. sets deadline for Indigenous salmon farm consent

All 120 operations will need agreements by 2022, province says

Most Read