Changes to Enbridge review process ‘outrageous’

  • Apr. 11, 2012 5:00 p.m.

By Jane Wilson–There was widespread outrage to the recently announced changes to the Enbridge review process, according to Skeena/Bulkley Valley MP Nathan Cullen.”We’ve been hearing from stunned constituents.who cannot believe the arrogance of this government and the utter disregard it has for a full examination of the huge environmental impacts and risks of the Enbridge pipeline,” said Mr. Cullen.When Finance Minister Jim Flaherty presented the federal budget last month, he promised to, “streamline the review process for major economic projects,” as well “strengthen pipeline and marine safety”. The streamlining means all major resource projects will have only one environmental assessment review that will last no more than 24 months. The change is retroactive, so the Enbridge review process, now underway, could end in May of this year, a full 18 months before it’s due to finish. The next Joint Review Panel hearings are due in Haida Gwaii at the beginning of June.”I’ve never heard of a government changing everything halfway through. They’re rigging the process and they’re not ashamed of it,” said Mr. Cullen, who also said the government is leaving the process open to court challenges.Mr. Cullen previously attacked the Minister of Natural Resources, Joe Oliver for having “brazenly undermined” the process. “What the minister is calling streamlining amounts to nothing more than a gutting of environmental protections,” said Mr. Cullen.

Just Posted

Immediate deal to reinstate AMHS in Prince Rupert not out of the question: Mayor Brain

B.C., Alaska officials fail to sign ferry deal in Juneau to reinstate service from Ketchikan

‘It affects everybody:’ Trudeau’s brownface photos worry Wet’suwet’en chief

Skeena-Bulkley Valley Liberal candidate declines to comment on prime minister’s indiscretion

Haida Gwaii art gala seeks submissions

Annual fundraiser supports local artists and programs

PHOTO GALLERY: Masset takes off on Terry Fox Run

More than $1,000 raised for Terry Fox Foundation

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Horvat paces Canucks to 6-1 pre-season win over Oilers

Vancouver improves to 3-1 in NHL exhibition action

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

‘He’s trying to kill me’: Victoria police commandeer boats to reach screaming woman

No charges laid and civilians to be awarded honours after incident on Gorge Waterway

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

John Horgan promises action after fatal mid-Island bus crash

Premier cites students, local Indigneous community as reason to repair the road

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

Forestry watchdog warned B.C. government about Bamfield Road in 2008

Ombusman’s specific concerns re-surface in wake of bus crash that killed two students

Photos surface of Conservative candidate at B.C. event with people in blackface

The controversial “Black Peter” character has been a feature at Sinterklaas celebrations

Most Read