Charge of uttering a death threat recommended

  • Apr. 7, 2010 9:00 a.m.

A 29-year-old Prince Rupert resident was in police custody earlier this week after a Saturday afternoon incident at the New Town subdivision south of Masset. Masset RCMP Sgt. Grant MacDonald said police were first called at around 1:20 pm on April 3, with the caller reporting that an adult male had threatened to kill another adult male. Police officers arrived at the residence in an attempt to arrest the suspect, Sgt. MacDonald said. They spoke to the suspect, who was inside the house with other adults and children, but he refused to leave. Police called for additional resources and a search warrant, and just after 5:30 pm they returned to the residence. The suspect attempted to flee through the rear entrance door, but was apprehended by police, Sgt. MacDonald said. Police have recommended one charge of uttering a death threat, and the detachment continues its investigation into the incident. The suspect remained in custody as of Monday while awaiting a bail hearing.