Chinook closure “devastating” for fishers, plant workers

  • Jul. 13, 2011 12:00 p.m.

By Heather Ramsay–Haida Gwaii jobs were flushed out to sea with the closure of the commercial troll Chinook fishery in late June. “It’s been pretty devastating,” said Al Frick of CB Island Fisheries, a processing plant in Masset. “A lot of work has been lost.” Mr. Frick said staff at the processing plant will be out three to four weeks of work, not to mention the other business lost to the local economy with the trollers not in Masset buying groceries and gassing up for their runs. The closure notice was sent out by Fisheries and Oceans Canada on June 21 after too many West Coast Vancouver Island chinook salmon had been caught. The lines had only been in the water for 12 days (the fishery opened on June 9) and during that time 66,000 Chinook were caught – just over half the allowable catch for the season. The maximum number of West Coast Vancouver Island salmon North Coast fishermen are allowed to catch within their quota is three percent. But a DNA sampling of 661 of the fish caught revealed that seven percent were from WCVI. According to DFO, the Vancouver Island stock is weak and that area hasn’t been seeing good returns of late. Meanwhile, many North Coast fishermen hadn’t even gotten on the water before the fishery was closed. Bruce Stewart-Burton of Masset said he was still working on his boat when the closure came. “I didn’t even get one fish off my quota,” he said. Now he’s lost his $1,400 investment in the license and he won’t be able to get any of the 468 fish he’s allocated. Plus, he says, there are more fish out there than anyone has seen in years. “It’s a huge run. It should be reassessed,” he said. But DFO area chief resource manager Dale Gueret said that the department doesn’t have the tools for that. He also noted the trollers decided themselves to open the fishery a week earlier than usual. He said DFO cautioned them that the WCVI salmon are likely around in more abundance earlier in the year, “but industry make that decision,” he said. Mr. Gueret said DFO may consider re-opening the troll Chinook fishery after September 8 when their records indicate no WCVI fish will be around. Mr. Stewart Burton is not heartened by this news. He said that by September, the sportfishing lodges will have creamed the stocks. “We’re left with the dregs.” What gets his goat is that the sporties will likely be catching WCVI fish all summer, indicating that DFO doesn’t really care about the health of the stock. He says DFO is out to kill the commercial industry. “Fisheries doesn’t have a care in the world for the commercial fishery,” he said. Mr. Gueret explained that DFO’s 1999 allocation policy does place recreational fishing ahead of the commercial fishery. Conservation is their first priority, then the First Nations food fishery, then recreational interests. Commercial fisheries are opened if abundance permits. He also noted the commercial coho fishery opens on July 15.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Regional district proposes closure of unmonitored recycling bins, new depot for Masset

Proposed updates to Solid Waste Management Plan aim to reduce waste on Haida Gwaii, save money

Rainmakers of Haida Gwaii set to perform for Special Woodstock

20th festival will feature musicians with special needs and other bands from around the world

Haida Gwaii COVID cases climb to 24 over B.C. Day long weekend

10 cases active, 14 cases now recovered; 23 people also isolating as a result of contact tracing

Boon Docs comics illustrate Haida Gwaii health staff ‘Behind the Mask’

Family doctor and cartoonist Caroline Shooner shares inspiration for new comic series

COVID-19: Haida Gwaii grocery stores tighten restrictions

Some in-store grocery shopping shuts down following confirmation of community outbreak

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Penticton homes evacuated due to wildfire northwest of city

Emergency vehicles are at the scene near Sage Mesa, evacuation centre set up in Penticton

British Columbians worried as end of COVID-19 rental supplement looms

Single mom struggles as supplement was her saving grace

B.C. fish harvesters receive long-awaited details on pandemic benefits

Applications to the $470-million federal assistance programs will open Aug. 24

Arson suspected in several wildfires lit near Kootenay town

RCMP making progress in arson investigation of Marsh Creek fires

Three screening officers at Vancouver airport test positive for COVID-19

The public is not believed to be at risk of exposure

VIDEO: B.C. conservation officers free not-so-wily coyote with head stuck in jar

Poor pup was found with a glass jar stuck on its head in Maple Ridge

‘Do our lives count for less?’: COVID-19 exposes cracks in disability aid

In July, Parliament approved a $600 payment for people with disabilities facing additional expenses during COVID-19

Most Read