David Phillips honoured for museum work

  • Jun. 2, 2006 1:00 p.m.

On the Dixon Entrance Maritime Museum’s fifth anniversary, David Phillips was given special recognition for his work in creating Masset’s legacy to the maritime way of life.
“It was his vision,” says Jenny Nelson, director on the museum board and long-time friend of Mr. Phillips. She says there is no doubt that without him, the museum would not exist.
Mr. Phillips’s began planning for the museum with three other mariners from longstanding local families: Bob Wylie, Charlie Bellis and Sam Simpson in the 1970s. Jean Juhas joined the group in the early 1980s.
He explored different sites and chose the 1914 building where the museum is now housed. It was originally a hospital, and when in 1948, Health Services were moved to the Red Cross Clinic on Main Street, the original Hospital Society gave the building to the School District for one dollar.
He convinced the Village of Masset to ask the school board for the building at a similar price.
Once the building was acquired, three years of fundraising, planning and collection gathering followed.
Mr. Phillips also led the way through renovations that saw a bedraggled building with ivy in the attic transform into the elegant museum it is today. The first museum board met around a trestle table amid the sawdust and the Dixon Entrance Museum opened in May, 2001.
Mr. Phillips was presented with brass plaque during the awards ceremony at Harbour Days. The plaque will be mounted on the wall outside the museum.

Just Posted

Haida Gwaii gets top spot in The World

It was already a nice Christmas present, but Keith Moore was really… Continue reading

McNeill fined again for illegal fishing

A local man with a long history of poaching has been convicted… Continue reading

Painting her way home

Janine Gibbons talks about all she learned illustrating Haida and Tlingit story books

Old Massett taps grassroots for community plan

Over coffee, kitchen tables, and community dinners, Old Massett is taking a… Continue reading

Subsea internet cable to link up Haida Gwaii

Cable to connect Haida Gwaii, Prince Rupert, Vancouver Island, Sunshine Coast with mainland network

REPLAY: B.C. this week in video

In case you missed it, here’s a look at replay-worthy highlights from across the province this week

Complaint against Prince George RCMP in death of Wet’suwet’en man

Thirty-five year old Dale Culver died while in Prince George RCMP custody last summer.

Philadelphia Eagles headed to Super Bowl

After routing the Minnesota Vikings 38-7, they will face Tom Brady and the New England Patriots

Heavy snowfall closes Mount Washington on Vancouver Island

Road to ski resort deemed unsafe, vehicles buried under more than three feet of snow

VIDEO: Dramatic video shows return of rescued B.C. snowboarders

Two snowboarders were rescued near Rossland, B.C. on Sunday after being lost overnight.

Tom Brady leads Patriots back to Super Bowl, top Jaguars 24-20

New England to face winner of Sunday night’s game between Minnesota and Philadelphia on Feb. 4

Liberals quietly tap experts to write new paternity leave rules

Ideas include creating an entirely new leave benefit similar to one that exists in Quebec

Insurers say Canadian weather getting hotter, wetter and weirder

Average number of days with heavy rain or snow across Canada has been outside norm since spring 2013

Final phase of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy trials to kick off in B.C.

Doctors hope to get psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy legalized in Canada and the U.S. by 2021

Most Read