Demolition plans on hold

  • Sep. 4, 2009 4:00 p.m.

It looks like the old Port Clements elementary school won’t be demolished for now, due to government spending cutbacks. The school district had planned to first remove the asbestos from the building, then have it torn down. The old school is no longer needed since students moved in January to classrooms in the new multipurpose building. But school district secretary-treasurer Ken Campbell said the demolition plans are now on hold. “The ministry has cut our annual capital grant funding,” he said Tuesday. The district receives around $500,000 every year for capital projects – things like replacing floors and windows, painting, and installing new heating systems. Most districts undertake these types of projects over the summer months, Mr. Campbell said. This district spent only about $100,000 over the summer, because it was saving the rest for the demolition. Luckily, there is a surplus in last year’s capital grant budget which will cover what the district has already spent, he said.