Enrollment dropping, school board hears

  • Mar. 16, 2009 3:00 p.m.

The number of students attending public school on the islands continues to plummet, school district secretary-treasurer Ken Campbell told trustees at their meeting last month. Latest enrollment numbers show that the district lost 18 students between the start of school in September and the middle of February, he said. As of Feb. 13, there was the equivalent of 663 full-time students, including 20 adult students (some students, like kindergartners, are counted as a fraction of a full-time student). Mr. Campbell told trustees that it is not uncommon for the district to lose some students by the middle of the school year, but that 18 was a relatively large number. The loss was biggest at Queen Charlotte Secondary, where enrollment slipped by 10 students to 142. A.L. Mathers school in Sandspit lost 6.5 students, George M. Dawson lost four and Port Clements elementary lost two. Tahayghen elementary gained 2.5 students and Sk’aadgaa Naay gained two.