There was a small fire on board the Queen of Prince Rupert shortly after it left Skidegate Monday morning (Feb. 20).
According to BC Ferry Services Inc, no passengers or crew members were injured in the fire, which was extinguished by the engine room crew within four minutes.
BC Ferry Services said the fire was caused by an exhaust gas leak in the engine room, and occurred in the fire retardant exhaust manifold.
Crew extinguished the fire with a hand-held dry chemical extinguisher. The gas leak was caused by a failed exhaust gasket on the number one cylinder of the port outboard main diesel engine.
BC Ferry Services said there were 51 passengers aboard the QPR. They were kept informed about the situation.
The ferry continued sailing to Rupert with three engines, and BC Ferry Services said it wasn’t expecting service to be disrupted.
- B.C. Wildfires
- Good News
- Cannabis 19+
- Submit News Tip
- Trending Now
- Photo Galleries
- Contact Us
- Site Map