Ferry fiasco dashes dreams of basketball team

  • Nov. 17, 2006 12:00 p.m.

by Alex Rinfret–BC Ferries’s decision to yank the Queen of Prince Rupert from service for the next week has dashed the dreams of a young volleyball team from Queen Charlotte Secondary.
The junior girls volleyball team – 10 dedicated grade 8 and 9 students who have been practising since September – lost the chance to play in the zone championships in Terrace because they couldn’t afford to fly home instead of taking the ferry, as they had planned.
The team had reservations on the Thursday night ferry and was going to return to the islands Monday Nov. 20. But just two days before they were supposed to leave, principal Angus Wilson heard a rumour that the ferry might be going out of service. After getting a “vague confirmation” from BC Ferries, he had to break the bad news to the team.
“At lunchtime I had to call a meeting and tell all the girls that there likely wouldn’t be any trip,” he said.
Then the phone calls began. Mr. Wilson, parents and the girls themselves called BC Ferries, the premier’s office, the Minister of Education and anyone else they thought might help. But it didn’t work. BC Ferries held firm on its position that it would not pay for plane tickets for passengers affected by the service suspension.
The school district and Queen Charlotte Secondary scraped together enough money to allow nine members of the senior girls volleyball team to attend the zone championship in Terrace. They took the ferry Thursday night as planned, and will fly home on Sunday afternoon from Prince Rupert. But there was not enough money to allow the junior girls team to do the same thing.
“No one likes to see a bunch of grade 8 or 9 girls’ dreams dashed,” Mr. Wilson said. “They worked really hard.”
Team member Jennifer Friesen, a grade 8 student, said the students were extremely disappointed that they weren’t able to participate in the tournament, which they had been looking forward to for the whole season.
Another team member, Ayanna Rhindress, said it was going to be their first opportunity to play off-island.
“I called Premier Gordon Campbell’s office,” Ayanna said. “I was a little annoyed… They said they couldn’t do anything.”
Ayanna thinks BC Ferries should have given the team plane tickets.
Grade 8 student Kelsey Lore said it was tough to find out that BC Ferries and the other agencies they called were not prepared to help them.
“The most disappointing thing was how everybody turned us down,” she said.
The girls’ volleyball season is now officially over.
Mr. Wilson said a university tour to UNBC in Prince George was also affected by the ferry service suspension. The students on this trip were booked out on a ferry which was cancelled, although their return reservation is fine. Now the 14 students will be flying off-island, thanks to a cash injection from the Gwaii Trust and some extra money contributed by the students themselves.

Just Posted

Immediate deal to reinstate AMHS in Prince Rupert not out of the question: Mayor Brain

B.C., Alaska officials fail to sign ferry deal in Juneau to reinstate service from Ketchikan

‘It affects everybody:’ Trudeau’s brownface photos worry Wet’suwet’en chief

Skeena-Bulkley Valley Liberal candidate declines to comment on prime minister’s indiscretion

Haida Gwaii art gala seeks submissions

Annual fundraiser supports local artists and programs

PHOTO GALLERY: Masset takes off on Terry Fox Run

More than $1,000 raised for Terry Fox Foundation

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Horvat paces Canucks to 6-1 pre-season win over Oilers

Vancouver improves to 3-1 in NHL exhibition action

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

‘He’s trying to kill me’: Victoria police commandeer boats to reach screaming woman

No charges laid and civilians to be awarded honours after incident on Gorge Waterway

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

John Horgan promises action after fatal mid-Island bus crash

Premier cites students, local Indigneous community as reason to repair the road

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

Forestry watchdog warned B.C. government about Bamfield Road in 2008

Ombusman’s specific concerns re-surface in wake of bus crash that killed two students

Photos surface of Conservative candidate at B.C. event with people in blackface

The controversial “Black Peter” character has been a feature at Sinterklaas celebrations

Most Read