Hospital work moving forward

  • Oct. 11, 2013 6:00 a.m.

Work on the new south end hospital got going in earnest this week, as contractors started preparing the site behind the current hospital. The old clinic has been torn down, said Project Director Peter Kallos, and is now ” just a big, gaping hole.” Work will continue on the site once underbrush is removed and fencing installed. Mr. Kallos was on the island last week meeting with hospital staff members to fine-tune the interior space of the new hospital design, he said. “There have only been minor changes so far, which means the previous work was right, down to the location of their desks and workspaces for all the different departments.” The overall concept has remained pretty much as it was two years ago, he said, the only changes have been a matter of inches. “Every meeting we’re having is reinforcing that the decisions we made earlier are mostly correct.” The final drawing should be finished in October and after that the contractors, Bouygues Building Canada, will move forward with their final pricing and construction, said Mr. Kallos. The hospital project was announced last year and will cost up to $50 million dollars, the cost shared between the province and the North West Regional Hospital District.

Just Posted

In Pictures: Māori girls net a big win on Haida Gwaii

Haida Gwaii and New Zealand are just a few b-ball games away.… Continue reading

Oil tanker ban to be reviewed by committee

Indigenous groups for and against Bill C-48 travel to Ottawa to influence the Senate’s decision

Man charged following Q.C. house fire that set off explosives

Thomas Daniel Kendall may face up to 14 years for causing bodily harm by breaching duty of care

Wind warning issued for Haida Gwaii today and overnight

Another wind warning has been issued for Haida Gwaii for today and… Continue reading

Haida leaders join coastal First Nations push for tanker ban

Elected and hereditary Haida leaders met some Ottawa senators last week, and… Continue reading

B.C. businesses evacuated due to emailed bomb threat, also received in U.S.

Penticton and Comox Valley businesses evacuated Thursday morning

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Coal power in Canada must disappear by the end of 2029, new regulations say

Canada has significantly cut its dependence on coal largely due to the closure of all coal plants in Ontario.

‘Naive approach’ to China at fault in Meng mess: Scheer

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer called on the Trudeau government to “unequivocally denounce any type of repercussions to Canadians on foreign soil.”

Omar Khadr ‘a model of compliance,’ wants changes to bail conditions: lawyer

Former Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr is back in court today to seek changes to bail conditions.

B.C. man linked to human remains probe gets absolute discharge on unrelated mischief count

Curtis Sagmoen was in Vernon Law Courts Dec. 13 for a mischief trial

Supreme Court upholds Canada’s right to reargue facts in assisted-dying case

Julia Lamb and the B.C. Civil Liberties Association are spearheading a challenge of the law

Most Read