Land use agreement means end of logging: Husby

  • Jun. 13, 2007 10:00 a.m.

The draft land use agreement between the provincial government and the Haida Nation could make it too expensive for forestry companies to operate here in the future, says Husby Forest Products Ltd. president Bob Brash.
Mr. Brash said he has serious concerns about the agreement, although some aspects of it are not clear yet.
“In general, it’s not pointing in a favourable direction,” he said.
Mr. Brash said he was surprised that the agreement chopped the new allowable annual cut here to 800,000 cubic metres, to be shared among all forestry interests on the islands. He said the amount is “arbitraryÂ… it came out of the blue.”
Husby currently has an allowable annual cut of 230,000 cubic metres, he said, and before the Duu Guusd area was protected the company’s cut was 340,000 cubic metres. There’s no information yet about how the new 800,000 cubic metre cut will be distributed, he said.
Mr. Brash said he is even more concerned about the standards the agreement proposes for ecosystem-based management, or EBM. He said Husby already practices a form of EBM, but the agreement sets out a more severe form which will drive up costs so much that the company will eventually have to stop operating.
“It’s an untested and draconian and unrealistic form of EBM,” he said. “I can’t see any operation being able to absorb those costs.”
Mr. Brash said he has read studies that conclude that implementing EBM results in a 15 to 20 percent hike in expenses.
It’s not just Husby that will find it impossible to operate under the new rules, he said. Any company, including one operated by the Haida Nation, will face the same challenges.
“Effectively what you’re doing is coming up with a regime that’s too expensive for whoever has harvesting rights in the area,” he said. “That should be a concern.”
Mr. Brash said he believes there are solutions to be found and would like to be involved in discussions to change the draft agreement. Husby has written letters to the provincial government about its concerns, but so far, he said, government has done nothing more than acknowledge receiving them.
Husby employs around 90 people in its operations on the islands, as well as 40 or 50 in the Lower Mainland, Mr. Brash said.

Just Posted

Overnight scare shines light on Haida Gwaii tsunami plans

Haida Gwaii woke to a real alarm early Tuesday morning — tsunami.… Continue reading

UPDATE: Tsunami warning causes evacuations, closures throughout North Coast

Emergency BC issued the warning after a 7.9 earthquake off Alaska early Tuesday morning

‘The tsunami alarm failed my household’: North Coast residents concerned over sirens, alerts

People living in northern communities share how they learned about Tuesday’s tsunami warning

UPDATE: Tsunami warning cancelled for coastal British Columbia

Warning issued following 7.9 earthquake off Kodiak, AK

Painting her way home

Janine Gibbons talks about all she learned illustrating Haida and Tlingit story books

Tsunami warnings 101: Canada

Here are some things to know about tsunami alerts in Canada and how they work

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Vancouver Islanders ponder need for tsunami siren song

Alarm sounds in Port Alberni but not at the DND base in Esquimalt

Babcock, Goyette and Smyth honoured at Order of Hockey in Canada

Mike Babcock, from Saskatoon, guided the Detroit Red Wings to a Stanley Cup in 2008

Bell Canada alert prompts RCMP, privacy watchdog to probe data breach

Company spokesman: ‘Fewer than 100,000 customers were affected’

Snowboarder dies at Vancouver Island ski resort

Death at Mount Washington Alpine Resort

Most Read