Masset hospital moves ahead

  • Jul. 28, 2004 5:00 p.m.

The proposed new north end health facility got a boost last week as the Northwest Regional Hospital District voted to pick up 40 percent of the cost, says Masset mayor Barry Pages.
It’s traditional for the hospital district to pay 40 percent of the tab for hospital and clinic construction, with the province contributing the other 60 percent. But in this case, the other 60 percent will be put up by a partnership of Old Massett, Masset, Port Clements and the Northern Health Authority.
The preliminary budget for the project, including site development, is $7.2 million, Mr. Pages said. It will replace Masset’s hospital and will also serve as a community health centre.
The hospital district – which has directors from all over the northwest region – made the decision to back the Masset project after meeting in Masset on Friday (July 23). Northern Health Authority officials also attended the meeting, Mr. Pages said.
“It was a pretty positive meeting,” he said. “There was lots of positive feedback on the model and the design development scope.”
The architect is continuing to refine the design, with a final plan expected at the end of September, Mr. Pages said.
The three villages are now working on financing and a lease agreement with the Northern Health Authority, and expect to hold a public meeting in October or November with more details, he said.
If all goes well, he said, construction could start by spring of 2005, and the building could be ready to move into by April 2006.

Just Posted

Logging protest at Collison Point

Husby crews lock up gear after group led by Old Massett Haida calls for end of logging at Collison

Cullen calls on DFO for quick notice of any salmon closures

MP urges co-operation after DFO releases grim estimates for sockeye, chinook returns

B.C. to protect more habitat for coastal northern goshawk, marbled murrelet

Few new goshawk nests expected on Haida Gwaii, where deer, low numbers are of high concern

Hundreds more Haida Gwaii homes to get high-speed internet

Gwaii Communications wins $4.9-million grant from Canada, B.C., Gwaii Trust to expand local services

On the Wing: Stormy weather in the wild

By Margo Hearne Things have calmed down after the big full-moon tides.… Continue reading

VIDEO: B.C. Mounties reunite veteran with lost military medals

RCMP say Zora Singh Tatla, who served in the army in India for 28 years, is the righful owner

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

Experts urging caution as rabbits die by the hundreds in B.C. city

Province of B.C. confirms more positive tests for rabbit haemorrhagic disease

Federal government seeks public feedback on pedestrian safety

What safety measures do you think need to improved for pedestrians and cyclists?

Search continues for 10-year-old Montreal boy missing since Monday

Montreal police said they are exploring every possibility in search for Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou

Airline passenger-rights bill claws back protections for travellers: Advocate

Bill C-49 would double tarmac delays, scrap compensation for flights affected by mechanical failures

Canadian research vessel to explore 19th Century shipwrecks

Commissioned this week in Victoria, the RV David Thompson is Parks Canada’s newest vessel

VIDEO: ‘New wave’ of anti-pipeline protests return to Trans Mountain facility

About 100 demonstrators with Protect the Inlet marched to the Burnaby terminal Saturday

B.C. man to plead guilty in connection with hit-and-run that killed teen

Jason Gourlay charged with failure to stop at the scene of accident, attempting to obstruct justice

Most Read