More students than expected have enrolled in the islands public schools this year, but that doesn’t mean the school district will be receiving more money from the province.
In fact, preliminary estimates show that the district will be receiving $78,000 less than it expected, secretary-treasurer Ken Campbell said.
That shortfall won’t affect the district in any major way, because there was a surplus last year, he said: “We’re going to be fine.”
Although the district will be receiving more base funding thanks to higher student numbers, it lost money due to lower than expected numbers of special education students. It also lost $48,000 in “enrollment decline” funding, money the province gives districts which suffer especially drastic drops in student numbers. Because the islands didn’t lose as many students as expected, that pocket of money will be reduced.
As of Sept. 30, the district had 745 students, a healthy increase over the 720 it had been expecting. Mr. Campbell, however, warned that these numbers are not yet final. The provincial government will be checking to make sure no students are registered in more than one district.
Broken down by school, enrollment numbers are:
o 164 at G.M. Dawson
o 153 at Queen Charlotte Secondary
o 139 at Tahayghen
o 171 at Sk’aadgaa Naay
o 58 at Port Clements
o 58 at A.L. Mathers (in grades K to 11)
Based on these numbers, the district will be receiving approximately $8.9-million from the provincial government for the 2006-2007 year.
Mr. Campbell said the final budget number will be available in early December.
- Submit News Tip
- Trending Now
- Photo Galleries
- Contact Us