Provincial court in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file)

Provincial court in Nanaimo. (News Bulletin file)

Nanaimo man gets jail time for posting explicit photos of ex-girlfriends

Man’s name cannot be revealed to protect victims’ identities

A 31-year-old Nanaimo man has been sentenced to nine months in jail for secretly photographing explicit images of two former girlfriends and posting them online.

The identities of the man and women cannot be revealed due to a publication ban, but he pleaded guilty to one count of publication of an intimate image without consent and two counts of secretly observing and recording nudity in a private place. He was sentenced by Judge Ronald Lamperson in provincial court in Nanaimo on Wednesday.

Lamperson, citing an agreed statement of facts, said the man dated the first victim for a few months in spring 2013, but the relationship ended.

After, she noticed her Facebook profile picture was that of her passed out, with her shirt up exposing her buttocks. The photo was also sent to four of her male friends. The man admitted to posting the picture because he was mad about the breakup.

Despite the first victim being angry, the two began dating again, though casually, between December 2013 to April 2014, said Lamperson. During that time, she consented to photos of her in her underwear, but none involving nudity. The man tried to take nude photos, but she objected to that and of being filmed during sexual activity.

In May 2016, the first victim was notified that her photos were on a pornographic website and after going to the site, she saw 34 photos of herself. She reported this to Nanaimo RCMP and told police she also found photos of the second victim.

The second victim began dating the man in spring 2014. While the second victim initially abused alcohol to the point she would pass out, she eventually stopped and focused on bodybuilding. Lamperson said the man became angry because of “the reduced sexual activity.” The victim caught the man filming while they were having sex and told him to stop and told him he couldn’t film her without her permission.

The second victim’s sister was alerted by the first victim about the photos and videos on the X-rated website in May 2016. The second victim went to the site and saw up to 30 nude photographs of her when she was unconscious. One photo saw the man digitally penetrating her and the man had included vulgar and violent comments about raping and drugging her.

The second victim angrily confronted the man and demanded he delete all material. He said it was a mistake and files were deleted, but she didn’t believe him. The man was asked to leave a residence they had been sharing in June 2016.

After complaints by the two women, RCMP began an investigation in October 2017 and the man was arrested. Both victims confirmed images were taken and posted without their consent.

In a victim impact statement, the first victim said she “comatosed herself with alcohol” after the Facebook incident and said her control was completely taken from her and she was left feeling unable to trust herself and her intuition.

The second victim said she felt an overwhelming sense of shame and avoids personal relationships.

Lamperson sentenced the man to three-month consecutive jail sentences for each count.

In addition to prison time, the man will see a two-year probation period.

Brett Webber, Crown counsel, said he had no comment following Lamperson’s decision and Jeffrey Arndt, defence counsel, could not be reached for comment.



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Cedar Valley Lodge, LNG Canada’s newest accommodation for workers at the LNG Canada Project site in Kitimat. The most recent outbreak among workers at the project site was just declared over. (Photo courtesy of LNG Canada)
Second COVID-19 outbreak at LNG Canada Project site declared over

The outbreak was first declared on Dec. 16, 2020

CGL has closed down the two lodges affected to everyone except the essential staff. (Black Press file photo)
All COVID-19 cases associated with Coastal GasLink outbreak deemed recovered

Outbreaks occurred at CGL project accommodation sites in Burns Lake and Nechako Local Health Areas

Prince Rupert Branch of BC SPCA has partnered with the Greater Massett Food Bank to provide pet food to guardians in need during the pandemic, Joe Griffiths manager of BC SPCA said on Jan. 6. (Photo: K-J Millar/The Northern View)
Greater Massett Food Bank partners with BC SPCA

Greater Masset Food Bank has recently received more than 800 kg of pet food for those in need

High wind warnings have been issued by Environment Canada for Haida Gwaii and the North Coast on Jan. 5, 2021. (image supplied)
High wind warnings in effect for Haida Gwaii and the North Coast

Winds will pick up in the afternoon in exposed coastal sections

Justin Kripps of Summerland and his team have competed in Olympic action and World Cup competitions in bobsleigh. (Jason Ransom-Canadian Olympic Comittee).
QUIZ: Are you ready for some winter sports?

It’s cold outside, but there are plenty of recreation opportunities in the winter months

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a UHN COVID-19 vaccine clinic in Toronto on Thursday, January 7, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
COVID-19: Provinces work on revised plans as Pfizer-BioNTech shipments to slow down

Anita Anand said she understands and shares Canadians’ concerns about the drug company’s decision

Tourists take photographs outside the British Columbia Legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Friday August 26, 2011. A coalition of British Columbia tourism industry groups is urging the provincial government to not pursue plans to ban domestic travel to fight the spread of COVID-19. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. travel ban will harm struggling tourism sector, says industry coalition

B.C. government would have to show evidence a travel ban is necessary

(Phil McLachlan - Capital News)
‘Targeted’ shooting in Coquitlam leaves woman in hospital

The woman suffered non-life threatening injuries in what police believe to be a targeted shooting Saturday morning

JaHyung Lee, “Canada’s oldest senior” at 110 years old, received his first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021. He lives at Amenida Seniors Community in Newton. (Submitted photo: Amenida Seniors Community)
A unique-looking deer has been visiting a Nanoose Bay property with its mother. (Frieda Van der Ree photo)
A deer with 3 ears? Unique animal routinely visits B.C. property

Experts say interesting look may be result of an injury rather than an odd birth defect

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Standardized foundation skills assessment tests in B.C. schools will be going ahead later than usual, from Feb. 16 to March 12 for students in Grades 4 and 7. (Black Press Media file photo)
B.C. teachers say COVID-affected school year perfect time to end standardized tests

Foundational skills testing of Grade 4 and 7 students planned for February ad March

Sooke’s Jim Bottomley is among a handful of futurists based in Canada. “I want to help people understand the future of humanity.” (Aaron Guillen - Sooke News Mirror)
No crystal ball: B.C. man reveals how he makes his living predicting the future

63-year-old has worked analytical magic for politicians, car brands, and cosmetic companies

Most Read