North end hospital to open in April

  • Feb. 27, 2008 12:00 p.m.

By Alex Rinfret–Northern Health expects that the new north-end hospital will be finished sometime in April – 11 months after the project was originally scheduled to be completed. Mike Hoefer, executive director of capital planning and support services for Northern Health, said the health centre isn’t finished yet is because there was a delay in the awarding of the construction contract, followed by several other delays caused by weather and by challenges in getting technical workers here. The delays have resulted in a budget shortfall of about $2-million, and it’s still not clear where a portion of that will come from. Mr. Hoefer said Northern Health has agreed to pay 60 percent of the shortfall, and has asked the Northwest Regional Hospital District to cover the remaining 40 percent, or $800,000. The Northwest Regional Hospital District is already paying a 40 percent share of the original project budget of $9.5-million, Mr. Hoefer said. Northern Health’s request is on the agenda for the hospital district’s March meeting. The three north-end villages – Old Massett, Masset and Port Clements – are paying the other 60 percent of the original budget, and are not going to be affected by the cost overrun at this point, Mr. Hoefer said. The villages borrowed the money and the lease payments from Northern Health for the facility have been calibrated to match the payback schedule. Meanwhile, Northern Health has not yet decided what to name the new facility. Mr. Hoefer said the organization has a complicated naming policy but basically, the name will be chosen by the Northern Health board based on a recommendation from the chief executive, who relies on input from a local health committee. Northern Health will have to choose a name at its March meeting if the name is to be ready for April, when the health centre is scheduled to be finished, Mr. Hoefer said. “We’re trying, but we’re not absolutely sure we’ll have a board-approved one” by the time the building opens, he said. Members of the public who have ideas for names for the new health centre should pass them on to members of the health committee. The committee includes representatives from the three villages.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Iconic Haida Gwaii species to be included in literary field guide for ‘Cascadia’

Experts, artists working on literary field guide with ‘kinship clusters’ for Pacific Northwest

B.C. repairs COVID-19 emergency order for local government

Ombudsperson shut out as his recommendations implemented

Kristi Lane Sinclair art doc ‘taking a different stance’ on the Gaag.iid

Toronto-based Haida artist hopes to start editing passion project on the fabled ‘wild man’ next month

Furniture in the gym, arrows in hallways: SD50 staff report on return to in-class instruction

All 6 schools allowed return to partial in-class learning June 11; Staff submitted reports June 18

Village of Masset working to provide call-in information for council meetings

Members of the public, media have not had access to Masset council meetings for months

All community COVID-19 outbreaks declared over in B.C.

Abbotsford manufacturer cleared by Dr. Bonnie Henry

Nestle Canada selling bottled water business to local family-owned company

The Pure Life bottled water business is being sold to Ice River Springs

Major B.C. salmon farm tests new containment system to curb sea lice infestations

System “essentially eliminates” contact between wild and farmed fish stocks, says Cermaq

US unemployment falls to 11%, but new shutdowns are underway

President Donald Trump said the jobs report shows the economy is “roaring back”

Ottawa jail inmates argue anti-COVID measures a breach of charter rights

The prisoners allege guards did not wear masks until April 25

Epstein pal arrested, accused of luring girls for sex abuse

Ghislaine Maxwell was in an intimate relationship with Epstein for years

More than 50,000 Coronavirus cases reported per day in US

Coronavirus cases are rising in 40 of 50 US states

Trump plans huge July 4 fireworks show despite DC’s concerns

Despite health concerns from D.C.’s mayor, no one apparently will be required to wear masks

Canadian engineer detained in Egypt released, needs treatment, family says

Yasser Albaz was detained at the Cairo airport after a business trip in February of 2019

Most Read