Planning meetings went well: MIEDS

  • Jul. 11, 2012 7:00 p.m.

A series of strategic planning sessions held in five communities last month went well, says the Misty Isles Economic Development Society’s Heather Hornoi, with a total of 41 islanders attending to share their ideas about economic development on the islands and what MIEDS should be doing over the next few years. “People were able to speak candidly about what they thought about the organization,” Ms Hornoi said, adding that there was a bit of ranting at some sessions, as well as many ideas and solutions offered. Another 25 islanders filled out surveys from MIEDS, leaving Ms Hornoi with lots of data to analyze over the summer. The survey deadline was extended to July 6 to give people a bit more time, Ms Hornoi said. People who still want to share their ideas or fill out a survey and haven’t done so can contact the MIEDS office, but they should do it soon, she said. The organization did hear from some people who weren’t happy that it held a closed-door annual general meeting this year, but Ms Hornoi said the series of planning sessions gave islanders lots of opportunites to get information about what MIEDS has been doing and share their opinions. And despite the criticism about the closed meeting, Ms Hornoi said she’s not sure if MIEDS will hold an open annual general meeting next year. The organization will definitely hold some kind of open meeting where the public can ask questions, she said, but it likely won’t be the annual general meeting. There are lots of restrictions around annual general meetings, she said, adding that businesses like HaiCo don’t hold their AGMs in public, and that MIEDS is not required by either the Societies Act or its own bylaws to hold an open AGM. “We’re trying to be as open as possible,” she said. “I think the organization is taking a lot of strides in becoming more open and accountable.” Ms Hornoi said MIEDS’s financial statements are available on its website, as are monthly reports and other information. MIEDS was formed in 2008 with a $500,000 grant from the provincial government. It is made up of the municipalities of Masset, Port Clements and Queen Charlotte and regional district areas D and E.

Just Posted

Study highlights Queen Charlotte housing needs

A new housing report highlights lack of social and seniors housing

Northwest family doctors win awards for B.C. launch of CHANGE Program

Northwest family doctors win awards for B.C. launch of CHANGE Program

Duu Guusd expands to include creek near Rennell Sound

More than three decades since the Haida Nation first resolved to protect… Continue reading

Masset Magic: Dancing and driving in circles

Whenever I see a pylon I have to fight the urge to… Continue reading

Tanker ban bill passes House of Commons

A ban against oil tankers in Haida Gwaii and North Coast waters… Continue reading

VIDEO: Canadian Forces help flood-ravaged Grand Forks residents heal

Sgt. Bradley Lowes says the military is used to dealing with traumatic times

PHOTOS: Floodwaters rise and fall in Grand Forks

The flood-ravaged Kootenay-Boundary region begins to heal

Martin Mars waterbombers’ firefighting days are done

Wayne Coulson said his company still hopes to find a new home for the vintage aircraft

NHL playoffs weekly roundup

Vegas Golden Knights have done the impossible and have a chance at hoisting the Stanley Cup

Changes needed for ‘Alert Ready’ mass emergency system

‘You need to strike this careful balance between alerting people to lots of problems — and doing it too often’

Las Vegas Golden Knights move on to Stanley Cup final

Improbable run continues for NHL’s newest expansion team

Oregon’s flooded recreational pot market a cautionary tale to Canada

‘In a broader sense, we are adding legal production to an already robust illegal production’

Chilliwack Chiefs make history with first RBC Cup win

In front of a huge and noisy crowd, the Chiefs claimed their first-ever national junior A title

UPDATED: Majority of flood evacuees in Kootenay-Boundary allowed to return home

Officials hope to have all 3,000 people back in their homes by Monday night

Most Read