QC break-in results in charges

  • Apr. 25, 2012 1:00 p.m.

A Queen Charlotte resident will be appearing in court this week facing charges of break and enter and possession of stolen property, while another resident is facing charges of possession of a firearm while prohibited and possession of stolen property, says RCMP Sgt. Rob Knapton. Sgt. Knapton said the charges stem from an incident that was reported on April 9. Queen Charlotte residents returned from a weekend away to find that their Second Avenue home had been broken into. Stolen items included two firearms, carvings, jewelry and electronics. After investigation, the RCMP executed a search warrant on a house in the 600 block of Second Avenue on April 10. They recovered a significant portion of the stolen items and arrested one man. After the search, police arrested two other residents at a house in the 800 block of Second Avenue. Investigating officers then executed a search warrant at this house, and recovered a rifle and a laptop computer that had been stolen. As a result, one of the men who was arrested has now been charged with possession of a firearm contrary to a prohibition order and possession of stolen property. The other was released without charges. Police have recovered most of the stolen items but are looking for help from the public to find a rifle that is still missing, says Sgt. Knapton. The rifle is a Tikka T3 .300. It is a bolt action rifle with a stainless steel barrel with a Leupould scope. Anyone with information about this rifle should contact the Queen Charlotte RCMP at 250-559-4421 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.