QC hospital site plan approved, construction may start in 2009

  • Oct. 13, 2008 5:00 a.m.

The Northern Health board last week approved the final master site plan for a new hospital in Queen Charlotte, and has now submitted the project to the provincial government for funding. Mike Hoefer, executive director of capital planning and support services, said the Queen Charlotte hospital is number one on Northern Health’s list of capital projects. He said he expects to hear from the province sometime in late winter about whether the project will go ahead next year. He said he’s not allowed to disclose the estimated budget, except that it is over $5-million. The final master site plan calls for a new hospital building of 3,700 square metres, he said, or almost 40,000 square feet. “It will be built behind the existing hospital,” Mr. Hoefer said. “We’ll have to be building while we’re operating.” The master site plan describes what programs and functions will be included in the new hospital but Mr. Hoefer said that document is not available to the public.