Report of ferry sinking to be released Wednesday

  • Mar. 7, 2008 1:00 p.m.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada will release its final report on the Queen of the North next week, almost two years after the ferry crashed into Gil Island and sank on its regular run between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy. The report will be released in Vancouver on Wednesday (March 12) at 10 am. The ferry sank in the early morning hours of March 22, 2006. There were 101 passengers and crew on board. Two passengers, Shirley Rosette and Gerald Foisy, were never seen again and are presumed to have died in the incident. All others got off the ship in lifeboats and were rescued by residents of nearby Hartley Bay. The Transportation Safety Board issued several safety advisories during its lengthy investigation: one warning about widespread marijuana use on the Queen of the North, one about the adequacy of the crew’s familiarization with new equipment, and one about the adequacy of Transport Canada’s guidelines for passenger manifests. The board completed a draft report a year ago, but ended up re-opening its investigation after BC Ferries brought forward statutory declarations from crew members who said they heard the quartermaster say she had been left alone on the bridge. The board then completed and circulated another draft report. Between December and January, the safety board read, assessed and responded to over 700 comments from designated reviewers, which it said is by far the most comments it has ever received on an investigation report. We’ll have details on this website Wednesday afternoon.