Schools to stay open during All-Native

  • May. 4, 2009 5:00 p.m.

The school board has decided it will not go ahead with a plan to close district schools for two days during the annual All-Native basketball tournament in February, after receiving an avalanche of negative responses. The proposal would have made up the two closed days by adding three minutes to each regular school day. Trustees decided earlier this year to see what the public, staff and teachers thought of the idea. However, at the April 28 school board meeting, superintendent Angus Wilson told trustees that although a few people thought it was a great concept, most of the feedback was negative. “We received a large amount of feedback,” he said. “Long story short, most of the response was not positive.” Many of those opposed to the plan said they did not see the point of adding three minutes to the school day, and wondered how that could possibly make up for two days, he said.