Service BC Update

  • Mar. 2, 2007 7:00 a.m.

Submitted by Susan Ford-Some ICBC reminders: if you have a higher class (commercial) licence and you receive notification of a required medical, you should not ignore the notice. We are finding that some customers assume that if they don’t provide the required medical, their licence will automatically be downgraded to a Class 5 (passenger vehicle only) licence but this is not the case. Your licence can be cancelled, without further notification, if you do not comply with the medical requirements in the time required.
You may, however, come into the Service BC Centre and voluntarily downgrade your licence, prior to the end of the time allowed to provide the medical. Assuming all outstanding fines are paid and everything is in order, we will contact ICBC and downgrade you immediately, foregoing the need for the medical. Keep in mind, this is only when the required medical is a standard commercial driver’s medical – if the medical request is for any other reason, it must be complied with regardless of the class of licence.
In an effort to increase the visits by ICBC driver’s examiners, we are putting together a list of people interested in taking their road test. If you are in this category, stop in or call and we will add your name to our list – this is not a waitlist, just a list of residents interested in taking a road test – an attempt to assess the current need.
Stop by the Service BC Centre and pick up a pamphlet on the new Canada Learning Bond. If you get the National Child Benefit Supplement as part of the Canada Child Tax Benefit and if your child was born after Dec. 31, 2003, you may be able to receive $500 now and an extra $100 each year for up to 15 years, to help you get started on savings so that your child can continue his or her education after high school. If you can’t get into your Service BC Centre, call toll-free to 1-800-622-6232 for more information.
Class B Gaming Licence information: community fundraising groups, such as a hobby or employee groups, applying for a Class “B” Gaming Licence may be granted a licence under certain conditions – for example, bank staff or an airplane club raising money for the Children’s Hospital. A community fundraising group cannot be a business or ‘for profit’ organization. All net proceeds raised must be donated to a single eligible charity. This information can also be found in section 8.9 of the Guidelines for Applying for an A or B licence ( When a community fundraising group applies for a B-licence they must have a letter from the eligible organization that they are fundraising for. This letter must contain the following information:
o Confirmation from the eligible organization that they are aware the event is being conducted on their behalf
o Eligible organization agrees to accept the net proceeds
o Those proceeds will be used only for eligible purposes
If you have any questions, you can call directly to the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch in Victoria. Please call Enquiry BC toll-free at 1-800-663-7867 and ask to be transferred to the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch in Victoria at (250) 387-5311.

Just Posted

Fat Tire Girls

Tough north-island duo braves river crossings and storm winds on cycling trek from Tlell to Tow Hill

Time is right for War of the Blink

New Haida manga by Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas tells a war story that ends in the blink of an eye

Masset Magic: A Christmas Classic to remember

By Jana McLeod Here I am, a full hour before the column… Continue reading

Protest stops logging near Tlaa Gaa Aawtlaas

After a blockade organized by Old Massett Village Council, local loggers agreed… Continue reading

Queen Charlotte police seeking man wanted for assault

Queen Charlotte RCMP are asking for help finding a man wanted for… Continue reading

B.C. boy denied $19,000-per-month drug to ease ‘crippling pain’ for 3rd time

Sooke mom Jillian Lanthier says son Landen Alexa has been forgotten about by Premier John Horgan

Senior randomly stabbed in B.C. mall food court

Woman arrested after victim, 71, suffers serious injuries

B.C. Liberal hopefuls begin final leadership push

Five MLAs, one outsider pitch policies to party members

UPDATED: ‘Young, innocent’ teen hit during Vancouver shootout dies

15-year-old Coquitlam boy was in a car driving by the scene

Ontario man charged with selling Canadian’s usernames and passwords

Ontario man ran site that peddled billions of pieces of personal data: RCMP

Video: B.C. documentary features Okanagan ice climbing

First documentary for Penticton filmmaker captures elusive Okanagan ice climbing

David Emerson quits lumber talks as legal action begins

Former federal minister served as B.C. softwood trade point man

Singer of the Cranberries dead at 46

Her publicist says Dolores O’Riordan died suddenly Monday in London. The cause of death wasn’t immediately available.

Toronto police say young girl made up story about hijab cutting

The investigation has been closed after 11-year-old girl claimed her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man

Most Read