Trial date set for former Olympian charged with fraud

Harold Backer is accused of bilking investors out of thousands of dollars.

A trial date has been set for a former Olympian charged with investor fraud, but he’ll have to wait almost a full year to finally see his day in court.

Harold Magnus Backer will begin his week-long trial by judge alone on Sept. 10, 2018. He is accused of cheating investors out of thousands of dollars in a pyramid scheme.

Last month he plead not guilty to two counts of fraud over $5,000 that were levied against him in June and October of 2015.

READ MORE: Former Olympian pleads not guilty

It was shortly after the charges were filed when Backer disappeared from Victoria, telling his wife he was going for a bike ride and never returned. He left on Nov. 3, 2015 and wasn’t seen again until turning himself into Victoria police earlier this year.

READ MORE: Missing investment banker turns himself into police

Backer has yet to answer questions about where he had been since he disappeared, or why he chose to come back.

He competed in three Olympic Games for the Canadian rowing team: 1984 in Los Angeles, 1988 in Seoul and 1991 in Barcelona. After retiring from the sport he became a rowing coach, before moving into finance and starting his own firm Financial Backer Corp.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Council Briefs | Village of Queen Charlotte: January 6

Grant writing, flood mapping, and the Seventh St. cleanup on the agenda

Pair of Haida Gwaii sailings cancelled due to windstorm

MV Kwuna will be parked due to the adverse weather

Severe wind warning for Haida Gwaii and the North Coast

Winds of more than 100 km/h are predicted for Wednesday afternoon

On the Wing: Christmas Bird Count Reports 2019 part 2

Haida Gwaii’s bird count report for Tlell and Greater Massett

B.C. premier talks forestry, service needs with handful of northern mayors in Prince George

Prince George meeting completes premier’s tour of Kitimat, Terrace, Fort St. James and Quesnel

WHO says China virus not global health emergency

The decision came after Chinese authorities moved to lock down three cities on Thursday

VIDEO: ‘Porn’ answer was a wrong one for Surrey family on ‘Feud’ game show

Surrey’s Rams competed on the TV show Wednesday night

Abandoned boats left to freeze on Okanagan Lake cause chaos

Over the last week weather conditions have caused three separate incidents

B.C. teacher witnesses coronavirus terror in Shanghai: ‘Everyone is on edge’

Face masks and hand sanitizer ‘sell out’ as 9 SARS-like illness cases confirmed in the city

B.C.-based firefighting plane crashes in Australia, killing three

Three people are confirmed dead in the crash in New South Wales

Living near major roads linked to higher risk of dementia, Parkinson’s: UBC study

Green space could mitigate some of the risks, researchers found

B.C. privacy commissioner suggests media civility for Prince Harry and Meghan

Lawyers for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex reportedly sent a letter to British press threatening legal action

Victoria’s plastic-bag ban ended by Supreme Court of Canada

City’s leave to appeal lower court’s decision denied

One person in Vancouver being monitored for coronavirus, feds say

Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu said five or six people are being monitored in Canada

Most Read