Skip to content

Voting day Saturday

Polls will be open across the islands Saturday (Nov. 16) as islanders elect the people who will serve as their school board trustees, regional district directors, and municipal council members for the next three years.nBasically, if you're a Canadian citizen, at least 18 years old, have lived in BC for at least six months, and have lived in the jurisdiction where you want to vote for at least 30 days, you can cast a ballot. There's not a single islander this year who won't be able to vote in at least one election, and some - Sandspit residents - can vote in four.nVoter turnout for the advance polls, held Nov. 6, was a little bit higher than normal in Port Clements, and average at all other polls.nYou do not have to be on the voting list to vote Saturday, but you will have to sign a declaration and produce two pieces of identification, which establish who you are and where you live.nIf you own property in a particular jurisdiction but don't live there, you may also be able to vote. Non-resident property electors must have a special certificate, available from the chief election officer, as well as identification. In order to get the special certificate, the property owner must be able to prove ownership, for example by providing a tax notice. Call the chief election officer for more details.nHere's the information you need, community by community. All polls are open from 8 am to 8 pm.nOld MassettnOld Massett voters can cast a ballot for their school board trustee, and for the regional district Area D director. Voting will take place at the fire hall.nMassetnMasset voters will be electing four council members this year - their mayor and school board trustee have been acclaimed. Residents can vote at the Howard Phillips Community Centre.nPort ClementsnPort voters will be electing a mayor and four council members - their school board trustee and Gwaii Trust representative have been acclaimed. Residents can vote at the community hall.nTlell, Tow Hill Road and other rural Graham Island areasnResidents of these areas can vote for the regional district Area D director at a variety of places: the Tlell fire hall, the Howard Phillips Community Centre in Masset, or the Port Clements community hall.nSkidegatenThe Skidegate school trustee has been acclaimed, but residents can vote for the regional district Area D director at the Qay'llnagaay Heritage Centre Society on Front Street.nQueen Charlottenn